Social Media Comment Rules
The purpose of comment-enabled sites is to facilitate a polite and constructive dialogue between the City of South Lake Tahoe and its constituents on matters of public interest. To further this purpose, the public is permitted to comment on posted items. This site is intended for the benefit of its users, and any inappropriate or offensive material will detract from its purpose. Moreover, the City may restrict any information that would compromise the privacy, safety, and security of the public, the City, or the users of this site. For these reasons, the City, in its sole discretion, will regularly review posted comments and delete any that disrupt, disturb, or impede the purpose of the forum, including the following types of content:
- Comments that are clearly off-topic or irrelevant to the subject matter of the item being commented upon;
- Promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial interest;
- Multiple copies of the same comment, or repetition of substantially similar comments;
- Promotion of, or opposition to, any political party, campaign, candidate, or proposition, unless such promotion or opposition is inherently related to discussion of an item posted by the City;
- Personally identifiable information of any individual or individuals, including, but not limited to, phone numbers, e-mail and physical addresses, social security numbers, or other identification numbers;
- Threats against any person or organization;
- Comments that are obscene or defamatory;
- Content that would be considered offensive to a reasonable person, including sexually explicit material and profanity;
- Advocacy, promotion, or encouragement of illegal activity;
- False or misleading information, including impersonation of any other individual;
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public;
- Content that violates the legal ownership interest of any other party;
By commenting, you are subject to the Terms of Service of the host site. Posting comments to this site will grant the City and anyone reading this site permission to copy, distribute, make derivatives, display, or perform the commenter’s work.
The comments posted on this site do not reflect the views of the City of South Lake Tahoe or its elected officials and employees. Reference in any comment to a viewpoint, product, service, entity, or organization is solely attributable to the individual commenter. Comments may not be reproduced for the purpose of stating or implying City endorsement or approval of any viewpoint, product, service, entity, or organization. Inappropriate comments may remain posted for a significant amount of time prior to being noticed and deleted by an administrator; however, this should not be construed as an approval of the comment or an exception to the comment policy.
Comments made through the City’s online locations will in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to the City of South Lake Tahoe or any official or employee of the City of South Lake Tahoe for any purpose. Additionally, emails or messages sent via this site may not be viewed or responded to. Communication with City elected officials, officers and employees should be made through correspondence to their physical addresses or City email addresses.
This policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time to ensure the use of this site is consistent with its purpose as a limited forum.