Tahoe Keys Evacuation Plan
Emergency Evacuation Map for the Tahoe Keys
To ensure the safety of residents and visitors of the Tahoe Keys neighborhood, the South Lake Tahoe Fire Department wants to remind the community of the two evacuation zones within the Tahoe Keys. Emergency Services could call for two options for residents and visitors within the Keys, they would include sheltering in place for hazardous material event, winter storms, wildland fires or other events where staying in place is the best option or evacuation.
Aerial view of the Tahoe Keys neighborhood.
Click HERE for the Tahoe Keys Evacuation Map
Click HERE for the letter from Fire Chief Jeff Meston
Shelter in Place
"Shelter-in-place" means selecting an interior room or rooms within your home, or ones with no or few windows, and taking refuge there. In the event of an emergency, Shelter-in-Place where you are unless directed otherwise by response officials.
- Close all doors, windows, and sky lights.
- Turn of thermostats and air conditioners.
- Listen to the local radio and check for EAS Alerts on KRLT 93.5 FM or KOWL 1410 AM, local television station (Channel 21), or City website (www.cityofslt.us) for further information.
- Have a bag packed in the event the strategy changes from Shelter-in-Place to Evacuation.
Local officials on the scene are the best source of information for your particular situation. Following their instructions during and after emergencies regarding sheltering, food, water, and evacuation is your safest choice.
When instructed by response officials, evacuate your home.
- Time and situation permitting, close all doors, windows and sky lights.
- Take your medicine, pets, and small irreplaceable personal items, place in vehicle and proceed out of the neighborhood.
- Listen to the local radio (KRLT 93.5 FM or KOWL 1410 AM) and follow the predesigned evacuation routes.
An evacuation order may direct you to a designated shelter as determined by the City of South Lake Tahoe or be a general evacuation order where you can determine the best location away from the emergency at hand. It is important that each citizen be responsible for their safety, the normal public safety system will be taxed and we cannot ensure the actions you take are prudent.