- City Council
- Mayor for the Day Contest
Mayor for the Day Contest
Click here for the Mayor for the Day Essay Application.
Mayor Cristi Creegan is giving South Tahoe Middle School students the opportunity to be Mayor for the Day. The winner will serve as honorary mayor at the City Council Meeting on February 28 at 5:30pm. Prior to the meeting, the winner will spend the afternoon with Mayor Creegan for a tour of City Hall and the airport, a visit with a Police K-9 unit, and a tour of a fire engine with firefighters. Afterwards, he or she will attend the City Council meeting and co-preside with the Mayor.
Note: Mayor for a Day winner’s schedule will be subject to approval by his/her parents and school.
Before filling out your Mayor for the Day application, please thoroughly read the responsibilities and guidelines below.
What are my responsibilities as the honorary mayor?
- Co-preside with Mayor Creegan and officially start the City Council meeting
- Lead the Pledge of Allegiance
- Receive a Mayor for the Day Proclamation
What else is included with being Mayor for the Day?
- Tour of City Hall and Airport
- Visit with a Police K-9 unit
- Tour of fire engine with firefighters
Note: Winner of Mayor for the Day must be available on Tuesday, February 28 starting at 3pm for activities prior to the City Council Meeting. Parent/Guardian must accompany the student.
What are the essay and contest guidelines ?
- Contestants must submit an essay stating what you would do if you were Mayor for a day. (500 words maximum)
- Your entry must have your name and grade level, along with your parents’ name, phone number, and email address included on the essay application in order to be entered into the Mayor for a Day Contest. Also, you must have your parent's permission to participate in the event on Tuesday, February 28. Note: All personal information will be redacted prior to review by the committee of judges.
- Essays are due by Monday, February 20 by 5:00pm. Essays received after this date will not be considered.
- The contest is only open to South Lake Tahoe Middle School students.
- The student with an accompanying parent or adult must be available on Tuesday, February 28 from 3-6:30pm.
- Submissions may be dropped off at City Hall or sent by mail or email to:
Mayor for the Day Essay Contest
City of South Lake Tahoe Attn: Communications
1901 Lisa Maloff Way Suite 203
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Where do I find the essay application and how do I submit it?
- Download the essay application for Mayor for the Day, by going to the following link: Mayor for the Day Application
Note: The application is fillable .pdf form and can be downloaded after adding your information.
- Submit the application via email at email@example.com or drop off at City Hall, 1901 Lisa Maloff Way Attn: Communications.
When will the winner be announced?
- The student with the winning essay will be announced on Thursday, February 23.