Between February 20th and February 25, 2017, the South Lake Tahoe Police Department received nine reports of theft from a vehicle. Six of the reports were in the Tahoe Island area. The majority of the vehicles were said to have been left unlocked.
Additionally, two vehicles were reported stolen on February 24th:
A 2010 Silver Nissan Altima, Illinois license plate Z495853, was stolen overnight from the 1100 block of Herbert Avenue. The vehicle has since been recovered.
A 2009 Silver Subaru WRX, Nevada license plate 746LLW, was stolen from the 800 block of Michael Drive. The vehicle has a dent on the driver side front bumper as well as mounts for a roof rack.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department needs your help in preventing these crimes. Below is a short list of proactive measures our community members can implement to assist in theft prevention. By implementing these proactive measures, citizens will greatly reduce their chances of being victimized. Most theft crimes are crimes of opportunity. Don’t allow yourself to be an easy target for theft.
PREVENTING THEFTS FROM VEHICLES:
• Install a vehicle alarm or mechanical lock for the steering wheel or ignition.
• Lock the doors and leave the windows rolled up.
• Activate any alarms or anti-theft devices.
• Keep valuables out of sight and/or remove them from the vehicle. Expensive items in full view invite theft even if the vehicle is locked.
• Do not leave money, checkbooks, or credit cards in the vehicle at any time.
If you see this vehicle or any suspicious activity in your neighborhood please call the Police Department at 530-542-6100.