South Lake Tahoe, CA (November 21, 2017) - The South Lake Tahoe City Council adopted new regulations capping the number of vacation home rental permits to be issued outside of the City’s Tourist Core Area Plan (Commercial areas) and tightening rules and regulations for using residential homes as vacation home rentals. The new regulations will be effective thirty days from today (December 21, 2017) and include, but are not limited to the following:
- $1,000 fines to both the owner and the guests of a vacation home rental for any violation of the City’s Vacation Home Rental ordinance.
- Three fines within a 24 month period will result in revocation of a vacation home rental permit.
- No more than 1,400 vacation home rental permits will be issued outside of the Tourist Core Area Plan of the City.
- Parking for vacation home rental guests must be in paved, designated parking spaces.
- Occupancy shall not be exceeded at any time in vacation home rentals.
- Noise in violation of City or Tahoe Regional Planning Agency limitations is prohibited between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.
- Camping on vacation home rental property is prohibited.
- Bear boxes shall be installed in all homes with a vacation home rental permit by July 31, 2018.
- Owners of homes with a vacation home rental permit are required to inform guests of the requirement to comply with the City’s regulations; failure to do so may result in a citation to the owner.
Violations of the City Code may be reported by anyone to the City’s Vacation Home Rental Enforcement Phone Number is (530) 542-6100.
For additional information on the City of South Lake Tahoe’s Vacation Home Rental program, visit us online at www.CityofSLT.us/VHR.