Fifty two years ago, community members throughout South Lake Tahoe came together and determined the best course of action for their future was self-governance. After many years of preparing, planning, neighborhood meetings and door-to-door conversations, on November 30, 1965 individual neighborhoods became one city: The City of South Lake Tahoe.
Prior to the City of South Lake Tahoe becoming its own City, the land of the City and its services were owned and operated by the County of El Dorado, which was incorporated in February, 1850.
City Records show that two local government analysis reports were prepared regarding the feasibility of incorporation: one in July 1960 and one in October 1965. Residents developed consensus in favor of proposed incorporation. A petition showing the proposed territory to be incorporated was circulated by citizens and received the required signatures of 25% of the population in the proposed city boundaries.
During the November 9, 1965 election, 2,011 residents voted for incorporation out of 2,624 votes.
The naming of the City was a close race with the “City of South Lake Tahoe” receiving 1,290 votes and “City of Lake Tahoe” receiving 1,172 votes.