HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS
South Lake Tahoe, CA (December 5, 2017) – The holiday season is here! Before you head out the door to finish up or start your shopping, the South Lake Tahoe Police Department would like to take a moment to remind you of a few safety tips.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Ensure all of your car doors are locked.
- Hide shopping bags and other valuables in the trunk or out of site.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid displaying large amounts of cash.
- Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination as the roadway may be icy.
- Do not drink and drive. Designate a sober driver.
- Never text and drive.
- Do not leave your vehicle running and unattended.
Safety at Home:
- Keep candles out of reach of children.
- Never burn candles near flammable items.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Do not burn wrapping paper or wreaths in your fire place.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned once a year.
- Inspect stringed lighting for fraying. A small fray in the wiring could ignite a fire.
- Only purchase from trusted websites.
- Use a credit card or pre-paid card for online purchases.
- If you are making a Craigslist purchase, find a safe location to make the transaction.
- If you are expecting a package, tell a trusted neighbor to keep an eye out for the delivery.
Happy Holidays from the South Lake Tahoe Police Department