Is a permit required for a new Junior ADU?

Yes, in all cases a permit from the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) and a City building permit are required. An approved TRPA permit is required prior to issuance of a City Building Permit. Property owners interested in constructing an ADU on their property are encouraged to speak with our Development Services team prior to preparing construction documents, to discuss your concept and verify what permits will be needed. Please call (530) 542-6010 or e-mail at

Show All Answers

1. What is a Junior ADU?
2. What is the difference between an ADU and a Junior ADU?
3. Where are Junior ADUs allowed?
4. Is a permit required for a new Junior ADU?
5. Can a Junior ADU be sold separately from the primary residence?
6. What is the maximum size a Junior ADU can be?
7. Is parking required for a Junior ADU?